Wednesday, April 18, 2012

So what IS it like to be Vegan?

For anyone that has known me for any length of time, you know that I went through a vegetarian phase that lasted in total about three years, over a five year period. (If you can figure that out, I'll give you a penny.)

It means that I wasn't a hard core veg and fell off the wagon on occasion. Especially considering how much I travel. Thirteen years ago, try ordering a vegetarian meal in Omaha, NE. I got a plain iceberg lettuce salad at every meal. EVEN breakfast. Seriously.

I've been teetering on the brink of going back to mostly veg, but here's the challenge: I love food. I love the taste of meat and I love to cook. So why on God's green earth would I do this?

I've watched a few movies lately: Vegucated and Food, Inc. and I'm so seriously grossed out by how animals have been industrialized and are processed on assembly (dis-assembly) lines. I can't bear it any more and have decided to go VEGAN. Not just vegetarian (I was octo-lacto before.), but VEGAN. Which means no dairy, no eggs. I guess I consider it an experiment. I'm not sure how long I can go. Veronica challenged me to do it for a year. I'm on day four and already really struggling. I MISS CHEESE. More than anything else. I MISS CHEESE.

I've actually gained two pounds because I'm eating more carbs. (I make home made Vegan bread that is awesome.) Sigh. I miss cheese.

But seriously, processed food already grossed me out, how our society is fed such garbage and accepts it as nutritious food. Filled with preservatives, sugar and unnatural ingredients. This is just taking it further - I have a choice not to eat meat that is raised just for the purpose of feeding the masses and mistreated in the process. The weird part is cooking meat for the family, and making my meal separately.

No comments:

Post a Comment