Saturday, December 17, 2011

Ten Year Anniversary

Ten years ago at 6 am the phone rang and my brother in law gave me the worst news of my life. My mom suffered a massive heart attack, was in a coma and would probably not live until I got to Charlottesville from Alexandria.

I did make it and sat by her side with my three sisters all day, talking and singing Christmas Carols to her and at 6 pm on December 17, 2001 - my mom left us.

I'm surprised by how my mom's presence is still will me ten years after her death. This morning at 7 am, my sister Mel "butt" called me, waking me up with same sense of dread about an early call.

A few hours later - our Christmas Tree crashed to the ground. A tiny 8 foot thing with six strands of lights and fully decorated. Did I mention the two gallons of water it held? The funny thing is, I wasn't upset about it, but amused. Getting upset wouldn't solve anything - so I had to look at the lighter side of it. I could just hear my mom saying "You just have to laugh at life's mishaps and make the best of it."

Miss you mom. You were the eternal optimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment